Saturday, February 17, 2007



We got to Florida just in time to go help clean up after the tornadoes. We have never seen anything like this. We have lived in the Midwest most of our lives and certainly have seen the aftermath of tornadoes but have never been involved in cleanup up close and personal. We were able to connect with the same organization we worked with last fall in New Orleans. These pictures are from a mobile home community in DeLand. Originally there were 180 homes here. 100 were destroyed but the other 80 sustained only minor damage. There were no fatalities here. Another team from Touch Global worked in a small community west of this where there were 13 fatalities. So they were involved in grief support as well as cleanup. One family there lost triplets to the tornado. It was tragic. We met up with that team at the end of the week and found them tired and emotionally spent but encouraged with lives that had been touched by God that week.
The work here in Summerfield goes well. We are only going to be here for about 10 more days then off to Alabama to our next project. Will post the address there when we nail it down. Right now I only have a PO box number.
Most of the ladies are either painting or working in the thrift shop but I was asked by the director of the mission to organize their library. Who'd a thunk it!? Actually I only have one more working day because I am going to Applique Academy in Williamsburg VA with Sue Wiersbe for a week. By the time I get back it will be time to move on to Alabama. I brought what I thought would be enough projects to last for the 2 months we are here but with everything we are doing I have only finished one project.
After Ken is done working next week he will be meeting up with his brother and a friend for a motorcycle ride to the Florida Keys so he will be having fun while I am gone. You can stop feeling bad for him!:)
Hooked up today with my sister, Rich and Marissa in Orlando today so we could watch Marissa compete in a gymnastic meet. It was fun to see her. She works so hard and I am very proud of her.
Probably won't post again until I am back from the academy. Stay warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to read how God us using you. We saw Arnie in Covington and he mentioned your meeting up with him in Florida.

Isn't it grand to make connections in the body of Christ?!?!?!

We had a great time as a team in February - again everyone worked well together - and it made my task so much easier.

If you haven't heard, one team member made sure he was a Christian on Sunday night at Trinity Church after I shared with him my testimony. He had told Marshall in the Ford Ranger his fear - saying"If I died in the next five minutes, I'm not sure I would go to heaven." That opened the door and I was privileged to help him settle the matter that night.

As to the gas - forget it! God has blessed us in the account and we don't need the reimbursement. Besides at several gas stations, I went inside and asked them to release the pumps and I would pay for all four at once inside, which they were happy to do. I found out that they have to pay a fee for credit cards that pay at the pump. Who woulda thunk that?

Well, enjoy Alabama, etc.
Pastor Ken