
Ken has done the last few blogs (and a nice job he is doing too!) but I wanted to say a few things too. He put the picture of the church on a recent blog but the top of the steeple didn't show up too good so I cropped it. Is this not a great steeple top? This is in Port Gibson, MS. They understand the point of having a steeple!

This is outside of Port Gibson and just took my breath away. This is the Windsor Ruins. This house was built in 1861 on part of the 21,000 (!) acres owned by this family. The owner died shortly after it was completed. His wife and children continued to live there and almost lost everything during the Civil War but retained the house. In 1880 the family was having a large party. It is said that someone smoking set fire to the house and it was completely burned. What is left today are the supports and they are huge. This was a 3 floor structure with the basement on the first floor. Just to give you some perspective we had a picture taken with us in it.
The first floor must have been 10 feet tall with the other two floors even taller. It is amazing that these ruins do not have graffiti on them and that the county continues to mow. The ruins sit about 5-6 miles out of town and there is NOTHING on the road out there. No homes, nothing. I think I read that there were 23 rooms originally but there are no pictures from when the house was whole. Rather sad. The wrought iron steps that originally graced the front of the house were donated to the college in town and are in use today. I love this stuff!

No comments:
Post a Comment